California Association of Zoos and Aquariums (CAZA) is comprised of 24 voting members. These zoos and aquariums are accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association (www.aza.org). California boasts more zoos and aquariums than any other state. In addition, there are two affiliate members of CAZA that are working towards AZA accreditation.
SOME IMPORTANT FACTS
- California's accredited zoos and aquariums attract more than 20 million annual visitors
- Some 650,000 families and individuals hold memberships in these institutions
- The combined annual operating budgets of these zoos and aquariums are more than $450 million
- Last year alone, these institutions invested $100 million in capital investments in infrastructure and new developments
- These zoos and aquariums support more than 3,100 full time and over 1,700 part time employees
- CAZA institutions are actively involved in education, conservation and creating a diversity of recreational experiences for the people in their communities.